You’re engaged, congratulations! Now what? One of the first things to think of post-engagement… Your wedding venue. The “feel” of you wedding is often based on the venue, so determine whether you want a casual wedding or a formal wedding, rustic or elegant, a modern look or something more traditional. Taking into account what style wedding you want will help you choose the venues you need to visit. Have you always dreamed of a modern minimalist wedding? Try chic venues like an industrial warehouse or an urban loft rather than an elegant barn or a rustic country cabin. When you start looking for wedding venues, keep the following items in mind:
- Guest list: You don’t need to have an exact number, but you do need to know a general number.
- Ask questions: Make a complete list of questions to ask the venue. When can people start setting up? What is the deposit? Do they require use of preferred vendors?
- Find out what renting the venue includes: Does it include tables, chairs, linens, etc.,?
- Bring a camera and/or video camera for later reference. Venues can start to blur together after awhile.
- Pay attention to the venue as a whole: Take a look at the restroom, foyer, and the dressing room to ensure your vision can be realized at this location.
- Get everything in writing: Once you’ve found the place, make sure you find out exactly what is needed to get your date secured. Document any changes in an email chain so you have written proof. As new things are added or changed in your contract, have the updated version printed and signed by you and the site representative.
- Lastly, read the contract, sign, and let the wedding planning fun begin!