Every girl deserves to feel beautiful on her wedding day. But thanks to the endless bombardment of filtered social media posts and pesky advertising full of unattainable beauty standards, feeling as beautiful as you look can be hard. We totally get that the thought of stepping into that first dress at your wedding dress appointment and not loving what you see is anxiety-inducing. But in reality, nothing is more beautiful than a bride who’s totally in love. With her fiance and with herself. We’re here to make sure you’re feeling yourself when the time comes to say yes to your dream dress! Welcome to our 7-step program for a more positive body image.
Once you’ve finished, make sure to book your bridal appointment at one of our authorized retailers. Want to feel absolutely gorgeous when trying on dresses? Trust us, these stylists are the best of the best.
Research silhouettes that will look great on your body type before your wedding dress appointment
PC: Morgan and Joel Photo
Choosing a flattering bridal gown silhouette is one of the easiest ways to maintain a positive body image, work with your gorgeous figure, and complement your personal style.
There is no “one size fits all” approach to body types. However, it doesn’t hurt to research general categories, such as hourglass, small-chested, petite, pear-shaped, tall, athletic, and apple-shaped.
Here are some of our favorite tips for choosing a silhouette that’s perfect for you:
- Looking to enhance a small bustline? Try adding visual interest with ruching, wrapping, and embellishment; or simply work with your natural features and rock a plunging neckline and low back.
- Both petite and tall brides look gorgeous in monochromatic fabrics and simple embellishments. These help to naturalize your height (or lack thereof) and create a graceful silhouette.
- For brides with fuller hips who want a more balanced look, A-line wedding gowns help balance out the lower body with the upper body. However, if you want to embrace the shape of your natural figure, choose a flattering fit-and-flare or mermaid silhouette to highlight your beautiful curves!
- Want to know what silhouettes and styles are perfect for you? Take our style quiz!
All in all, the perfect wedding dress is the wedding dress you feel your best in!
Trust your stylist to ensure your body confidence
PC: Bridal Closet
As you book your wedding dress appointment, it’s important to trust that your team of bridal stylists will help you find something beautiful and exceptional. They may introduce you to wedding gowns outside your comfort zone. Don’t let it shake your positive body image! This is the perfect opportunity to browse, experiment, and (maybe!) find something you didn’t expect to love.
A lot of times you think you know what you want but end up buying something completely different. Remember to keep an open mind! After all, how often do you get to go wedding dress shopping? Savor it and try everything! Maybe you’ll come back to your original vision, maybe your stylist will blow your mind. Either way, you’ll have a blast playing dress-up!
If you choose to diet and exercise, focus on sustainability and overall wellness
PC: Bridal Closet
One of the biggest factors in achieving a positive body image is to let go of the “quick fix” mentality. Put another way, you have all the power in the world to make big changes for your big day. Just don’t let those “numbers” detract from your overall wellness and enjoyment.
Dropping a dress size or losing a certain number of pounds is only one aspect of the body positivity package. It’s much more important (and effective!) to take care of your body, ease into new diet and exercise regimens, and focus on sustainable lifestyle changes to reach your goals.
Stay positive and focus more on your overall wellness than just numbers on the scale. After all, your overall wellness includes your mental wellness. Don’t let that fall by the wayside!
Remember that the number on the scale has nothing to do with how radiant you’re going to look on your wedding day. You’re marrying the love of your life, and nothing should take away from that moment. A happy bride is a beautiful bride.
Bring An Entourage That Encourages Positive Body Image
PC: Unknown | Bridal Closet
Your entourage can make such a huge difference in how your wedding dress appointment goes. Make sure to bring your most encouraging friends and family members who are supportive of your positive body image! This day is all about you feeling beautiful, so don’t feel guilty about not inviting people who don’t make you feel that way.
Practice Body Positive Affirmations
PC: Morgan and Joel Photo
If phrases like “There’s no way I’ll get fit enough for the wedding,” or “I hate how I look in photos” sound all too familiar, it may be time to reassess the way you speak about your progress and self-image.
If that’s something you’re still working on, here are some great positive body image affirmations to get you started on your self-love journey:
- “My body deserves to be taken care of. I feed my body with nourishing food and give it exercise to feel strong, active, and energized.”
- “My brain, heart, and personality are the best parts of me.”
- “Seeking body positivity is a meaningful and valuable endeavor. I deserve to find things that create happy and healthy dialogue about my skin, shape, and natural features.”
- “I look exactly the way I’m supposed to. If the way I look changes in the coming months, I will continue to trust its wisdom, beauty, and integrity.”
- “My body can do incredible things.”
- “Life is too short and my wedding will go by too fast for me to waste time obsessing about my body. I am going to take care of it and pamper it before the big day. But my main priorities are to feel happy, loved, and open to possibility.”
PC: Pamela Leon Photography | Amanda Shear Photo
Maggie Sottero’s Commitment to Body Confidence, Inclusivity, and Representation
PC: Morgan and Joel Photo | Bridal Closet
We’re 100% committed to helping you create an unforgettable celebration, from the moment you start your wedding planning online to your first steps down the aisle, to those weeks following your wedding when you get to relax, celebrate, and reminisce over your gorgeous bridal portraits.
A few ways Maggie Sottero is committed to creating a space for positive body image and inclusivity in the bridalsphere include:
- We are proud to hire diverse models for every photo shoot, from our in-house styled shoots to seasonal campaigns.
- We are honored to highlight models in sizes 12 and 18 in all our campaign photoshoots.
- Most of our wedding gowns are available in sizes 0-28, designed for real women and their diversity of shapes, figures, and styles.
- We offer wedding gowns across an array of price points. We believe there’s absolutely no reason for a bride to sacrifice romance or quality (not to mention an ultra-flattering silhouette) for her budget.
- Want to know more about our DEI and social responsibility efforts? Learn more about movements close to our heart.
PC: Unknown | Bridal Closet
Maggie Sottero Wedding Dresses that Flatter a Wide Range of Body Types
If you’re all about texture and shimmer, we have the perfect ruched tulle and lace wedding gown to make your best day ever feel like a masterclass in style. Teona’s charm is in her details, which include a deep v-neckline and back and a stunning ruched tulle bodice lined with organza.
A unique boho fit-and-flare bridal gown has charm aplenty. But what about volume? What about texture? What about a nod to 70’s clam in a curve-hugging silhouette and plunging neckline? We’re here for all the gorgeous potential of this star-worthy design. This gown is sure to promote positive body image in brides of all shapes and sizes!
Embrace your curves, love your assets, and play up your graceful silhouette. This strapless V-neckline wedding dress is certainly designed for the spotlight. Inspired by old Hollywood, Marsha is a stunningly simple gown in a mermaid silhouette loved by brides of all body types!
Here’s what we know about this couture strapless A-line wedding dress. 1) Minimalism is powerful. 2) Satin is undeniably timeless. This sophisticated gown comes in a variety of colors and highlights a sexy thigh-high slit that’ll leave your guests awestruck. Did we mention it has pockets?
Little things like shimmery lace, a layered skirt, and illusion bodice details come together for an exquisite statement in this dreamy tulle A-line bridal gown designed for breezy celebrations. Shiloh features an off-the-shoulder neckline, deep sheer V-back, and beaded lace motifs over sparkle tulle that’ll have you head over heels.
Still there? Don’t worry, we know that was a lot of info (we’re passionate, what can we say?) So here’s the bottom line. Don’t let anyone affect your health, confidence, and positive body image on your best day ever. This is your time to shine, whatever your age, size, personal style, or budget! We don’t put our foot down often, but we’re not open for debate on this one. You look gorgeous in that dress.
P.S. If you loved those ultra-flattering gowns, check out more of our bride’s favorites for more inspo!
More Blogs Like This: